Thursday, January 6, 2011

Z...U...M...B...A...

So, Bruce and I decided to try ZUMBA… yeah, it kicked our butts! One of my co-workers decided to get it a long time ago, but it wasn’t until it became the rave and everyone was talking about it on Facebook, I then decided that I’d give it a try and that it might be fun. It’s more like dancing than a workout and may keep me entertained. Well, it’s also very intense and can burn anywhere from 450 to 1200 calories depending on the body type and workout.

So, here’s how the next EIGHTY minutes went…

We started with the basic dance steps. It breaks it out into 3 “easy” steps. Yup, it probably is EASY when you weigh about 90 pounds soaking wet and you have a sliver of rhythm… but that would not describe me or Bruce. **And a side note: if you’ve already read Bruce’s blog you will remember he described the “instructors” as strippers. But I will second that they really might have a second job as in this profession.

So, we begin with a few Merengue moves… this wasn’t so bad. We learned some basic Latin march steps and how to do the “booty circle” – which has to be my husband’s favorite move. He would stick out his tongue and get really serious because as he said this was a move he could do… it was TOO funny! Next time you see him – please ask him to show this to you!!! I also had to slap him back into reality when the *cough* stripper… instructor starts shimming her bosoms. Wake up Bruce! Your wife is in the room with you!!!

Next was the Salsa – ok, anybody done the Salsa??? Not too hard… Once again, for someone who can dance; it was a little challenging for me and Bruce though. Overall, I would say this had to be our favorite dance of the night.

Then, the Cumbia… only it’s funnier to hear what’s-his-face say it. I couldn’t even understand him… you know the creator of the Zumba craze – yup, him. This was really funny to watch each other move our arms in a spiral motion and try to move our feet in a certain way at the same time. Now, I’ve been known to make fun of a few people who can’t chew gum and walk at the same time, but I will be the first to admit that I CAN NOT move my arms in a swirly in-and-out type motion while trying to move my right foot and skip onto my left foot and pull my right leg over my left shoulder… and by this point I think my calves are ON FIRE!!!

Next up – Reggaeton – This was a fun dance, until we basically had to try and dance while doing squats. Heck! I hate squats to begin with and now we’re going to torcher each other by thinking we can dance while doing squats?!?!? This is CRAZY! This is also the dance that is supposed to be the “hip hop” version and well, let’s just be frank – WE ARE SOOOO WHITE!!! J
                                 **We may or may not have looked like the guy in the picture below…

Ok,  so we do a cool down and I’m thinking we’re pretty much done…. Sixty minutes of this is for the freaking birds!!! But I made it through it…. and then Bruce suggests we do the “20 minute dance express” so that we can put our “moves” together. And I’m thinking WHAT MOVES??? What in the past 60 minutes would you consider a “MOVE”?!?! But we do it. And it was fun.

So, now… 80 minutes later we are BOTH drenched in sweat, abs are hurting from laughing at each other, and had to have burned like 50 trillion calories… that’s what I put on my Weight Watchers tracker anyways. J

We’ll try it again… But not tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You know that we looked EXACTLY like that guy in the picture! And to think you wanted to record us doing it...

    ReplyDelete