Tuesday, March 8, 2011

5 miles on the elliptical

Instead of putting the usual "here we go again" or "let's try this one more time"... I thought I'd put my accomplishment instead. Since we cannot get anything at our gym in the apartment complex to work consistently, we decided to bite the bullet and join the local Snap Fitness in Columbiana. They are still doing the "no-enrollment" fee signup, so we got a good deal. After trying 2 times this weekend to meet up with someone and after several phone calls, we were finally able to join yesterday.



We had entirely too much to do yesterday to workout so we had our first workout session this afternoon. As soon as Bruce got home from school, I said we should go ahead and go workout before "life" got in the way. So, it was about 5 and we were worried there were going to be a ton of people coming right after work. When we pulled up, there were about 9 cars in the parking lot so I was immediately anxious. I have always hated working out in front of other people, especially at the size I am right now. That was a main reason I hated going to the gym at the apartments because it was such a small room and if there were 3 people in there, they were all looking at you.

So, Bruce had said he was going to get on the elliptical because he lost so much weight doing it before. Well, the competitor in me came out and so I wanted to do it too. He said he might go an hour on it so I was a little overwhelmed but thought "I can do this". Well.... 6 minutes into it I thought I was literally going to throw up and pass out, and maybe at the same time. I decided to stop and get on the elliptical machine that kind of looks like a bike.

It does the same maneuvers as the standing elliptical but you can sit and get almost the same workout. I thought it would be a good workout for me to get used to an elliptical since I've never really used it before. As I'm walking over there, I noticed an older man, probably 40 years older than me, just going to town on this machine. I was a little embarrassed that I had to get on the same type of machine as this older gentlemen, but I knew I needed to workout and couldn't worry about what anyone else thought about me. So, I jumped on and did 5 MILES!!! Yes, you are reading this right... there is no typo. AND I did it in 25 minutes!!! :) How FREAKIN' awesome is that?!?!

And another thing I noticed is everyone was doing there own thing which means no judging. The gym is really nice, there are 2 sitting ellipticals, 4 standing ellipticals, and 7 treadmills all facing the walls and in front of about 5 tvs. It seemed the ellipticals were the most popular pieces of equipment because they were all being used with 4 other people on treadmills. We were all watching the news and I didn't feel the first person starring at me or judging me.

So, I am very proud of myself... and BOTH of us for that matter. We both worked out for 30 minutes (we didn't want to kill ourselves the first time back in a while) but we both did about 5 miles on the elliptical. We are well on our way to getting in better shape and living healthier. We both agreed we're going to be more committed to working out, especially since we'll be paying for it LOL :) So, you can join Bruce and I at the Snap Fitness in Columbiana probably 4-5 days a week. If you workout there, let me know. I will need a partner some days because Bruce will have to workout at a different time than me due to his school schedule.

Hope to see y'all there! And tune in! You should see another blog from me in the next few days! :)

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job, and I am SO proud of you. You were kicking butt on that ellipti-bike thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the fence about joining because I don't have a 'partner' and I'm not sure about going at irregular hours by myself. I guess I should at least go and check it out in person. (Especially with the no sign-up fee!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You GO GIRL! 5 miles is quite an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete