Thursday, November 6, 2014

4 Month Update


4MONTHS!!!

So, I am sitting here writing her “4-month blog update” after she’s already turned 5 months old. Not going to make myself feel guilty though because since going back to work, when I’m at home I’d rather spend every minute with Harper than worry about this blog J I know I need to make time to document what’s happened in the last month, each month, because she is growing up so fast I want to be able to remember what happened and when it happened. I especially want to document with all of the pictures because she’s changing so fast.

So, with her 3-month update I had just gone back to work. It was extremely hard in the beginning because I missed her and Bruce so much (he had an extra week at home with her before returning to school for the fall semester). The thing that made it easier was when she was still asleep when I would leave for work. I leave home at 6AM and most days she wouldn’t wake up until 630 when a school bus went by the house. But there were some days when she’d wake up at 530 and I would want to stay home and snuggle with her. Those were the days when Bruce would not be so happy at having to get up so early and we would sometimes have a little fight because I would remind him of how I would love to be able to stay home and snuggle with her for a couple more hours before Jessica picked her up. Unfortunately I have to go to work early so I can get off work early and be home in time for Jessica to drop her off after picking up her own kids from school. I do know that I am lucky because I would have 3 or 4 hours to play with her before it was time for bed. Most moms get home at 5 or 6 and their kids are in bed by 7 or 8.

Back to what happened between 3 and 4 months. So, like I said I was back at work and that means I’m pumping about 3 times a day. It was a struggle in the beginning because of co-workers not understanding the importance of this for a working mom. We moved to our new office in the spring of this year and it was a total remodel before we move. With this remodel, I requested a Mother’s Room for all moms who would be pumping after returning to work. A nice room with 2 comfy chairs, outlets, a sink, and a mini fridge were provided. I was so thankful for an employer who valued their employees enough to make a separate, comfortable, private room. But once I returned, the room had not been used in several months and some employees were using the room for their breaks, taking naps, and putting their food in the mini fridge (even though we have a LARGE, restaurant size refrigerator in our break room). So, when I came back, I requested a key and for the room to be locked at all times so I could set up my pump and leave it set up for the entire day instead of taking down and packing up and then setting up again every time. I got a little push back and employees said I was making a bigger deal out of it than it should have been. Maybe I did but the room was created for people like me, not people wanting to take a nap or store their food away from everyone else’s. Plus, I think it’s gross that my daughter’s food would be around other people’s food that I really don’t even know (I work in an office of about 200 people). I don’t think anyone would do anything but it’s the thought of their lunch sitting next to my daughter’s “lunch”. Anyway, that got sorted out, I was given a key, the room is locked at all times and we have a nice, clean, private room to pump and store our milk. I’m glad I took a stand for myself and the other 4 women who are pregnant and will all need to use the facilities within the next 6 months.

So, what has happened with Harper? The BIG thing is she’s been sleeping SO much better at night. On August 31st, she slept for 10.5 hours straight. I’m sorry to brag because I have several friends who are still waking up numerous times a night with their children but I also know that a good night’s sleep for a tired Momma makes a world of difference. I pray their children will start sleeping better as well. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had our rough nights, too. We’ve had some nights where the only thing that would calm her down is snuggling in our bed with our “tranquil turtle” (thanks to Dr. Ford).

She has also started rolling over. She tried so hard for a couple of weeks and just couldn’t figure out how to push off and pull her arm underneath her. This also caused her to wake up a lot during the night because she was trying to roll over and couldn’t. Plus, she was still swaddled (and trying to break out every chance she got – see picture below). Then, one night she was really fussy and I turned on the video monitor and boom, she flipped over right in front of my eyes. I shot out of bed and screamed at Bruce that she rolled over and we both ran into her room to check on her. Of course she was fine, but it was crazy how at 3AM she decides, “This is it, I’m flipping over!” That day, I got on my “What to expect when you’re expecting - May Baby” group discussion board that I’m on and several women were experiencing the same thing of babies waking up, trying to roll over and not sleeping well. Also, they say you’re not supposed to keep swaddling them once they start rolling over because they can’t roll back over and the whole SIDs issue of sleeping on their bellies. Well, one woman wrote about a thing called a “Zipadee zip” so I researched it. Several people stated that it helped their babies sleep so much better, while others said it didn’t work for them. I thought what the heck, let’s try it and see. It’s basically a sleeper that covers their hands and feet and feels kind of snug but they’re still able to move their arms and legs and roll over easy. I thought it would also be good because of her eczema and stop her from scratching in the middle of the night. I ordered 2 and got them a week later. During that week, we put her in footed pajamas and had to put mittens on her to keep her hands warm and from scratching her face. The first night we put her in her Zippy, she only got up twice but after that she started sleeping through the night. I HIGHLY recommend to at least try them. They may not work for everyone, but they work for a lot of babies. They were featured on Shark Tank a month ago and are still running specials from that show – look them up!

She also had her 3 month pictures taken at the Botanical Gardens. These pictures really captured her personality and how she’s such a happier baby now. I know it has a lot to do with her reflux getting under control and that she now takes every other bottle with hypoallergenic formula for her sensitive issues (that’s probably also why she’s sleeping so much better). People always say she’s such a happy baby by the pictures we post and it’s true. Unless she’s sleepy or hungry, she doesn’t really fuss anymore and she just smiles and melts our hearts every time she does. Bruce says all the time that we got a different baby between 2 and 3 months and she’s only gotten happier and more fun since then.

We went and visited Daddy at work a few times this month and all of his student and co-workers love to see her and say she is the cutest (which we already knew that). And we had to change our diaper on his desk – he didn’t know about that until it was posted on Instagram haha. We’ve been shopping several times and Daddy bought her a toy that has been her favorite toy since the day he got it. He calls it an atom but it is a block rattle that has plastic, soft wires coming out of it and it has been a lifesaver since she has started teething (which also means drooling everywhere) but she loves to chew on it.

Harper had her 4 month checkup and Dr. Holly was so impressed that she was already rolling over and holding her head up like a champ. Harper just watched Dr. Holly as she walked all over the room and would grin at her. Dr. Holly also suggested starting cereal and when she could eat that easily – opening and closing her mouth and keeping it in her mouth for the most part – we could start baby food.  So, I went to Wal-Mart as soon as we left and bought some oatmeal cereal, carrots and beans to try. Her stats were 13lbs, 23 ¾” long and 25th percentile in all categories. Dr. Holly says she’s healthy and looks great and to keep up with the formula every other bottle, advised to try hydrocortisone ointment for her eczema and to cover her in Vaseline to help her skin as well. So, at night, after she’s had her bath and before she gets in her Zippy, I cover her in Vaseline and her skin feels so soft in the mornings.

I had a lot of favorite pictures from 3-4 months.

 
Harper was not into a photo shoot after waking up from her nap

 
Twins :)

Mrs. Rachel gave me this adorable headband

From #DadDayFriday

War Eagle!

Helping Mom cook

 
Precious baby girl!

Love my Granny Pat

3-month photo shoot

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Starting the "duck face" early
 
Grandparents' Day with Bilbo & Dea
 
Impromptu photo shoot with Beth (@UnskinnyBoppy)
 
 
 
So tired she actually took a paci (this is VERY rare)

Such a happy baby as soon as she wakes up

Dea gave me a mohawk

"Hi, Mom!"

Love my little girl!

Daddy is so silly!

My two loves!

Time to stop swaddling! Little Houdini can break out for real! :)

Bought a ZipadeeZip and she sleeps so good without being swaddled. (This was also after she rolled over in her sleep swaddled and couldn't roll back over.)

Ready for church

Praisealuah! :)

Look at my muscles :)

She loves her Daddy

Had to use Dad's desk as a changing table ... hahaha

Started teething and Sophie, the giraffe, is our new best friend!

"Look at me, Ma, I can hold my head up like a big kid!"

Snuggles and giggles with Mom

Dad bought me a new toy and I LOVE it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment